The Louisiana Solar Energy Society is an
educational organization formed to promote the
use of solar energy and to share information
on the subject between its members and the

Home Links LA Solar Pro/Sponsors Join Contact Us


Click here to view the three bills that have been signed into law

-To read the press release from the governor click here

Federal Tax Credit:

-Has been extended till 2016 and the new FTC will take effect January 1, 2009.
-For homes and commercial businesses it covers solar hot water, and solar electric.  Does not cover solar pool heaters.
-For both residential and commercial you get 30% back with NO cap!

Here is the form for the FTC FTC Form 5695.pdf.

State Tax Credit (residential and apartment complexes):
-Enacted on January 1, 2008 with no expiration date!
-For residential systems and residential complexes, i.e. apartment buildings
-Covers solar hot water, solar electric, solar pool heaters, and wind generators.
-You get a refund of 50% from the state with a cap of $25,000 per system.  So the max you can receive back from the state is $12,500.  You can put as many systems on one home until 100% of your home's energy comes from solar, and still receive the state tax credit on each system.

Here is the form in PDF State Tax Credit form.  

The direct links to the info are below:

The Final Rules for the State Tax Credit-Enacted October 20, 2008

The State Tax Credit Law - As Enacted July 10, 2007

The Full Federal Tax Credit Law for Solar Energy

The New Federal Tax Credit in Effect January 1, 2009-(short version of the FTC)

Tax Credit Info. for the New Federal ITC-Major changes in the new law

The New Rule that increases the size of allowable net-metering for commercial businesses-Effective August 19, 2008 

The SEIA Handbook: Guide to Federal Tax Incentives for Solar Energy

DESIRE: Database of State Incentives for Renewable and Efficiency

Programs that will help pay for making your home more energy efficient-HELP and HERO

*For other financial assistant you can always go to
The Department of Revenue (State) or the Department of Energy (Federal).